Film Indexes Online is regularly updated with new content. Updates are described by database and include Film Index International, the American Film Institute Catalog and The International Index to Film Periodicals from FIAF.
American Film Institute Catalog Update
This release includes a number of new enhancements to the AFI Catalog:
- AFIís 100 Years Lists: we have incorporated a number of the AFIís well-known 100 Years lists into the site, so that customers can browse the AFIís list of the top 100 Movies (the 10th Anniversary Edition list, compiled in 2007), the 25 Greatest Movie Musicals, top 25 Film Scores, and the top 50 Stars (25 male, 25 female). Clicking any film title will take to directly to the film record, whereas clicking on an actorís name from the Stars list will bring up a complete list of that actorís films from the AFI Catalog. When viewing the record for one of these films, you will also notice a link taking you to the relevant list in which the film appears.
- AFIís Top 10 Films of 2008: full records for the AFIís selection of the most notable films released in 2008, including The Dark Knight, Frost/Nixon, The Wrestler and WALL-E.
- Films of 1974: more than 250 records for films released in 1974. 30 key films from this year have had full AFI Catalog records created for them, including production notes, plot synopsis, full cast and crew details, source citations, genre and subject indexing. This includes films by major auteurs of the period, such as Terrence Malickís Badlands, Roman Polanskiís Chinatown, Francis Ford Coppolaís The Conversation and The Godfather Part II, Bob Fosseís Lenny, Robert Altmanís Thieves Like Us and John Cassavetesís A Woman Under the Influence, along with hit movies such as The Three Musketeers, The Great Gatsby, Death Wish, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Murder on the Orient Express, Mel Brooksís Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, and the disaster movies Airport 1974, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno. The remaining films from 1974 have extended stub records, which include the main production details and dates, principal production and acting credits, genre indexing and source citations.
- Additional records for films from 1975-1999: the AFI staff have created records for all films included in the 100 Years Lists, including those from years not yet covered by the Catalog. More than 30 new records have therefore been added to the database, including extensive full records for Raging Bull (1980) and Rocky (1977), together with stub records for films such as Annie Hall (1977), Blade Runner (1982) and Pulp Fiction (1994).
- All film records now searchable: up until now, the Quick Search and Advanced Search page only gave access to the main contents of the Catalog, including films up to 1973, and did not cover the Top Ten lists for 2000 onwards. However, the search now covers a total of 48,700 records, including the fully catalogued years from 1893 to 1974, the 30 records covering 100 Years films from 1975-1999, and the 90 films included in the Top Ten lists for the years 2000 to 2008.
FIAF Index Records
This month sees the addition of hundreds of new FIAF index records to the Index to Film Periodicals database. There are now over half a million records available in the FIAF index. Furthermore, two new journals have been indexed, Black Camera and the recently launched Journal of African Cinemas.
(added January 2010)
Film Index International Film and Person Records
With this release, almost 700 film records and more than 21,000 person records have been added to the database, covering the very latest cinematic releases from around the world. All film records list the filmís production details, cast, crew and running time, together with a synopsis and citations for related reviews, articles and production news from trade publications, scholarly journals and consumer magazines. Person records feature significant biographical information (where available), complete filmographies and citations to interviews and features.
(added December 2009)